Another day and more recipe suggestions for Chutney! How will you be creative today?
- Multi-cultural Salsa. Add some Chutney to salsa (homemade or store bought) for a different flavour mix. Add fresh coriander or parsley and serve with tortilla chips.
- Add it to pan juices of your next roast. Just a spoonful of Chutney will give your gravy a totally new dimension. Chutney is made with vinegar, which is often used to deglaze roasting pans, and our unique spice blends will compliment your roast’s flavors. (Swish the pan juices around in the jar to make sure you don’t waste anything.) We love the Rainforest Lime & Mango Chutney with roast chicken.
- ‘Flavour Hack’ roast booster. Mix Chutney with liquid (wine, soy sauce or juice) and a few spoonfuls of oil (olive or coconut are our favourites) and pour over meat, chicken or fish. Not too much but just enough so that the food won’t dry out while cooking. Sprinkle herbs (Italian, mixed herbs or whatever is in the pantry) over the meat and roast. You’ll get a beautiful main course with it’s own flavourful gravy.
It’s that time of year again!
Time to wrap up the summer break but not quite the end of the season. There’s still that final public holiday, barbeque and fireworks session to end January with a flourish.
Let’s finish off the month in style with a glorious Oz cocktail for the occasion. The Cotton Thief's Botanic Garden is cool, refreshing and novel. It includes some of Australia's best native ‘flora’ flavours and it's definitely a thirst quencher!
The Cotton Thief’s
45ml Botanic Australis Gin
30ml Elderflower Syrup
15ml Rainforest Lime Shrub
Juice of half a lime
2 slices of cucumber
Dash of soda
- Muddle all ingredients (apart from soda) together.
- Shake with ice.
- Single strain into a small glass and top with soda (about 30ml).
Interested in learning more about Australia’s indigenous plants? What can you grow yourself and where? If you’re in Sydney you can sign up for an upcoming class specifically on DIY Bush Tucker gardening. It’s a Milkwood, ‘skills for real life’ workshop held at their site this March. Check out the info.